What is anxiety ?
Anxiety is a feeling of unease, worry and nervousness that occurs in the absence of an imminent threat.It is different from ‘Fear’ that happens as a spontaneous response to any dangerous selection. Whereas anxiety is a part of body’s natural reaction to stress.
Many of us get anxious when we encounter a particular situation we find stressful. Anxiety is a common problem faced by people in this 21st century.
Anxiety becomes more common with older age especially amidst the middle age groups. So the types of anxiety that people face differs with age.
Among children Phobias are common. In middle-age groups Panic Disorders are common and in older adults anxiety disorder are quite commonly seen.
1. Anxiety in Children
Young children can face anxiety but this seems to be different from the ones faced by adults and older adults
Certain situations can cause anxiety among children. There are no particular cause to why a child is feeling anxious.
Some causes include:
- Problems at school like peer-pressure, difficulty in learning or even being bullied by others.
- Family Problems: A stressful environment at home such as heated conversation between parents.
- Experiencing a loss of loved ones at a young age.
2. Anxiety in Teens
Children who face anxiety are very likely to experience anxiety in adolescence. Social anxiety and phobias are very common in teens. This feeling can take adverse effects on them. They start acting out to drugs, alcohol and sex to deal with their feeling and overcome it.
Common causes of anxiety in teens:
- A family history or the stressful environment at home.
- A shy or timid person is more likely to be a prey to anxiety.
- Loss of loved ones, divorce and other disturbing events at college can cause anxiety.
3. Anxiety in Middle-aged adults
Adults who have had anxiety as children and teens are more likely to develop anxiety again in their later years.
Common causes of anxiety in middle-aged adults:
- Generalized anxiety like excessive worry for months about things like work, schools, money related issue
- Panic attacks like intense worry, heart palpitation and shortness of breath.
- Social anxiety that develops in social relations. It could be because of comparison between people or a fear of being judged.
- Severe negligence of something that develops into Phobias gradually over time.
4. Anxiety in Older adults
Adults who are 60 years of age and above are more likely to get physical symptoms of anxiety than their younger counterparts. This age group has higher risk of medical issues than the others.
Common causes of anxiety in Older adults:
- Extreme stress
- Chronic pain
- Alcohol, caffeine or drugs
- A family history in anxiety disorders
- Mental or medical illnes
Anxiety is normal, but highly subjective, human emotion
While normal anxiety serves a beneficial and adaptive purpose, anxiety can also become the causes of tremendous suffering for millions of people.